Saturday, February 7, 2015

Don't Think Twice, It's All Right

As the time before my departure continues to drain more and more quickly, I've tried something that the teenage iPhone addict I once was would never have thought twice about doing:

I've put the phone down.

Not completely--I still check it a couple of times a day and tend to me more active at night when my family's gone to bed--but while I still have time with my family and friends, I've tried to be better about staying tuned into them instead of the tiny blue screen that's usually within a, perhaps, much too easily accessible location.

The funny thing about putting the phone down is that it's simultaneously both incredibly easy and painstakingly difficult to do. If I'm watching a movie or having a conversation with someone, it's easy to willingly ignore the whole other world that sits at my fingertips--it's almost cathartic. I can almost forget the fact that I have an iPhone and a list of contacts who could be trying to reach me via one of the multiple modes of social media I've (at times, regrettably) chosen to subscribe to.

On the other hand, the news addict/journalist/slightly anxious person in me feels slightly hesitant to be completely removed from technology for fear of being unable to be reached in an emergency or other similar circumstances. While I know these situations are unlikely, particularly when I'm in the presence of my family, I still find that I can't completely remove myself from technology.

Because we are a technological age, it may be difficult to ever completely unglue from technology--unless I spontaneously decide to pull an Office Space and embrace my inner Ron Swanson. But, for now, I guess I'll stop worrying and learn to love the smartphone--in moderation, that is.

No comments :

Post a Comment